Thursday 10 March 2011

Shop.

It's not often that we men are gifted with a concept store, distinct from the predictable units we have all grown to know and loath. All too often, our temples of sartorial grace, conform to stockpiling that which we our told to honour and obey, by the clerics of fashion.Yet, there our but a few whom dare to not play along to the same hymns of an orthodox playlist. One of a Kind, is one such concept store, that acts as a haven to the discerning gentleman. A haven of unique goodies, that make you wanna scream hallelujah.
I had a little natter with the folk behind the concept, to gain a greater insight into the store and the creator... Enjoy.
Whats the story behind your concept store, One of a Kind?
After returning to Australia in 2001, from living overseas. I noticed a gap in Sydney - there were no stores like the ones I had been shopping in. So in 2002, I opened my first store, "Our Spot", then in early 2010, I opened One of a Kind. I wanted to open a little neighbourhood menswear store, stocking Australian designers, second hand pieces and accessories. The space became available, the vine was in bloom and it was open 3 days after I came up with the concept.
When buying pieces for the store, what's the single most important factor? 
These Days, price has definitely become an important factor, though, aside from that, the story behind the brand is important to me and I buy the pieces that I like.

What can we expect from One of a Kind in future months?
This month we see the exciting arrival of the AW11 collections. Further down the track I'll be working with many labels to feature shop-in-shops. I've also got some interesting window displays planned and another group of art shows in November.

Looking into your well groomed crystal ball... what do you see as the next big trends we folk should be on the look out for?
I think the next trends to come through, are beautiful tailoring, organic fabrics and colours. One label using organic fabrics is Dana Lee - this combined with Dana's impeccable designs makes it definitely a label to watch.

What was the sole thing that gravitated you to wanting to work in fashion?
Skateboarding.

Casting your mind back, what's the earliest piece of clothing you remember wearing as a child?
When I was five, I had a cool pair of Adidas Roma's.

What was the last item you purchased, your most coveted item in your wardrobe and what have you been desperate to get your mitts on?
Last item purchased, J Crew dessert boots... Fave wardrobe item - Rag & Bone Work Jacket and I am desperate to get a Isaac Reina Wallet and Buttero sneakers.

Finally, what's your biggest Fashion NO!?
Ugg Boots outside of the house.

BIG thanks to the beauts at One of a Kind + watch this space for the eagerly anticipated online shop.

No comments: